Since their first acquisition of F-35 warplanes from Lockheed Martin in December of 2016, the Israeli military claims that they have become the first nation to have used the planes in combat, having used them in attacks “twice on two different fronts.”
The revelation was originally made on the Israeli military’s Twitter account. Maj. Gen. Amikam Norkin later revealed the quote about two different fronts, and showed a picture of an F-35 flying over Beirut, Lebanon.
Israel has yet to confirmed either of the fronts the plane was used in. The plane overflying Lebanon suggests that one of them was either an attack on Lebanon itself, or perhaps more likely neighboring Syria. Most Israeli attacks on Syria originate in Lebanese airspace.
Israel has attacked a lot of places since December 2016, however. Other candidates include the Gaza Strip, Sudan, and Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula. Israel attacks Gaza and Syria the most often, but with no air defenses Gaza would be a strange place to use the pricey Lockheed warplanes.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Again Gets Caught Up in Prediction of Syria Victory 'by Tonight' - March 21st, 2019
- Pompeo Threatens to Curb Israel Ties Over Growing Israeli Trade With China - March 21st, 2019
- Bolton Vows Action Against Venezuela's Maduro, Says 'the Window Is Closing' - March 21st, 2019
- Pentagon Sends B-52 Bombers to Europe for Exercises Amid Tensions With Russia - March 21st, 2019
- Trump Endorses Israeli Annexation of Golan Heights - March 21st, 2019