US Ambassador Nikki Haley announced on Sunday’s “Face the Nation” that the US will be announcing a new round of sanctions against Russia on Monday. The sanctions will punish Russia for its continued ties with Syria’s government.
Details are not yet clear, but Haley indicated that the Treasury Department would be making the announcement. She further said that Russian companies dealing with the Assad government would be directly targeted.
US sanctions against Russia almost exclusively target companies and businessmen at this point. This is because recent years of escalating sanctions have cut off broad swathes of Russia’s economy from the US as it is, so there is increasingly little to go after.
Following up Friday night’s attack on Syria with new Russian sanctions virtually ensures a quick Russian retaliation. Russian officials had suggested that there would be “consequences” at any rate. Direct sanctions are always the quickest way to ensure Russian MPs press for a quick reaction.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran's Rouhani: US Should Suspend Sanctions Because of Flooding Crisis - April 17th, 2019
- US: Over 2,000 Foreign ISIS Fighters Held by Kurdish Forces in Syria - April 17th, 2019
- Trump's Call to Arms Against '3 Stooges of Socialism' Done With a Clear Eye on 2020 Campaign - April 17th, 2019
- Pompeo: US Trying to End Afghan War - April 17th, 2019
- Official Claims Afghanistan ISIS Capable of Striking US - April 17th, 2019