The Israeli Army has deployed over 100 snipers, as well as substantial other military forces to the border with the Gaza Strip, ahead of a massive Land Day protest among the Gazans on Friday. The protest is expecting 100,000 demonstrators.
Israel is expecting to kill protesters, as the standing orders are to shoot any Palestinians who try to cross the border, even if it means killing unarmed protesters. So even though nothing has happened, Israeli officials are trying to get out in front of the issue of shifting the blame.
Israeli diplomats are making the rounds worldwide, saying the Palestinian protest is a “dangerous provocation.” Despite Israel being very clear they intend to respond violently to the peaceful protest, they are also insisting anyone killed will be Hamas’ fault.
The Israeli Foreign Ministry’s English-language talking points dub the demonstration a “Hamas-led Confrontation Campaign,” saying Hamas is paying people to participate with an end goal of destroying Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Slams Human Rights Groups, Blames Them for Leaving UN Human Rights Council - June 20th, 2018
- Afghan Govt Offers to Extend Taliban Ceasefire for Another Year - June 20th, 2018
- Taliban Seizes Afghan Military Base, Kills 30 Soldiers - June 20th, 2018
- Iraqi Cleric Sadr Struggles With Forming Coalition Government - June 20th, 2018
- Fears for Yemen Civilians as Fighting Reaches Hodeidah Residential Areas - June 20th, 2018