The Israeli Army has deployed over 100 snipers, as well as substantial other military forces to the border with the Gaza Strip, ahead of a massive Land Day protest among the Gazans on Friday. The protest is expecting 100,000 demonstrators.
Israel is expecting to kill protesters, as the standing orders are to shoot any Palestinians who try to cross the border, even if it means killing unarmed protesters. So even though nothing has happened, Israeli officials are trying to get out in front of the issue of shifting the blame.
Israeli diplomats are making the rounds worldwide, saying the Palestinian protest is a “dangerous provocation.” Despite Israel being very clear they intend to respond violently to the peaceful protest, they are also insisting anyone killed will be Hamas’ fault.
The Israeli Foreign Ministry’s English-language talking points dub the demonstration a “Hamas-led Confrontation Campaign,” saying Hamas is paying people to participate with an end goal of destroying Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Tones Down Rhetoric, Actions Ahead of North Korea Summit - April 24th, 2018
- Trump Threatens Iran as Deadline to Withdraw From Nuclear Deal Looms - April 24th, 2018
- Trump Again Backtracks on Syria Pullout, Vows 'Strong and Lasting Footprint' - April 24th, 2018
- West Seeks to Bypass Russian Veto on UN Moves Against Syria - April 24th, 2018
- House Lawmakers Offer Alternative War Authorization Proposal - April 24th, 2018