The Israeli Army has deployed over 100 snipers, as well as substantial other military forces to the border with the Gaza Strip, ahead of a massive Land Day protest among the Gazans on Friday. The protest is expecting 100,000 demonstrators.
Israel is expecting to kill protesters, as the standing orders are to shoot any Palestinians who try to cross the border, even if it means killing unarmed protesters. So even though nothing has happened, Israeli officials are trying to get out in front of the issue of shifting the blame.
Israeli diplomats are making the rounds worldwide, saying the Palestinian protest is a “dangerous provocation.” Despite Israel being very clear they intend to respond violently to the peaceful protest, they are also insisting anyone killed will be Hamas’ fault.
The Israeli Foreign Ministry’s English-language talking points dub the demonstration a “Hamas-led Confrontation Campaign,” saying Hamas is paying people to participate with an end goal of destroying Israel.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iran FM Says US 'Action Group' Will Fail to Overthrow Iran - August 19th, 2018
- North Korea Praises Trump, Bashes His Critics - August 19th, 2018
- As Afghan President Announces Ceasefire, Pompeo Says 'Time for Peace' - August 19th, 2018
- Iraq Supreme Court Ratifies Election Results, Sadr Still Leads - August 19th, 2018
- Pentagon Spokesman: US to Stay in Iraq as Long as Needed - August 19th, 2018