Citing mounting tensions with the Palestinians, the Israeli military has confirmed to media outlets that they are in the process of considering a plan to seize Palestinian neighborhoods that are technically in Jerusalem, but which lie outside of the barrier of separation.
The Palestinian areas targeted include Kafr Aqab, and the Shuafat refugee camp. Exactly what changes this would make for the inhabitants of those neighborhoods is unclear, including if it would change their civil status.
The neighborhoods are in a rather unique situation as it stands, physically cut off from Jerusalem by the barrier wall, but technically part of it, meaning those living there have residency status, and the Israeli police are already operating therein.
Though the military is being extremely vague about what all of this means, that they’re couching it as a reaction to the Jerusalem protests likely means it will boil down to something of a crackdown against the Palestinians.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: Khashoggi's Remains Disposed of in Saudi Consul General's Garden - October 23rd, 2018
- Two Koreas, UN Command Agree to Withdraw All Arms From Truce Village - October 22nd, 2018
- NATO Sends 50,000 Troops to Largest Exercise Since Cold War - October 22nd, 2018
- Bolton Visits Moscow, Denies Plans to Blackmail Russia Over Nuclear Treaty - October 22nd, 2018
- CIA Has Heard Audio Recording of Khashoggi's Death - October 22nd, 2018