In comments in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, President Trump claimed that he “probably have a very good relationship with Kim Jong Un,” adding that he has relationships that reporters would be surprised of.
Trump refused to say if he’s ever actually spoken with Kim, saying “I just don’t want to comment.” He has however, at time suggested he was open to talking with Kim on the telephone, given certain conditions.
The idea that he would have a good relationship with Kim, however, is surprising, as he’s publicly referred to the North Korean leader as a “maniac,” and repeatedly threatened to totally destroy his country.
Trump presented such hostile tweets as just part of his strategy, saying that “you’ll see that a lot with me, and then all of the sudden somebody’s my best friend.” He said he’s done the same thing at least 20 times.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Chemical Inspectors Arrive in Syria's Douma, Collect Samples - April 21st, 2018
- Saudi Airstrike Kills 20 Civilians in Southwest Yemen - April 20th, 2018
- North Korea Tones Down Anti-US Rhetoric as New South Korea Hotline Opens - April 20th, 2018
- Russia Says US Didn't Violate Red Lines During Syria Strike - April 20th, 2018
- UN Security Team Still Won't Let Inspectors Visit Douma - April 20th, 2018