Following up on last night’s surprise attempt to attak the Russian airbase at Hmeimim by a drone belonging to a Syrian Islamist faction, a whole flurry of additional armed drones have made attempted runs at Russian bases along the Syrian coast on Monday.
According to a statement from the Russians, seven were shot down with anti-aircraft missiles, while the other six crashed and otherwise landed outside of the bases without doing any damage at all.
Hmeimim base was successfully attacked by rebels last week with artillery strikes, damaging several Russian planes. The drones so far haven’t done anything, but underscore the rebels’ willingness to keep trying to strike such targets.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- New Zealand Police Censor Mosque Attack, Threaten to Jail Citizens Who Share Video - March 18th, 2019
- Iran Denies Turkish Claims of Joint Operations Against Kurds - March 18th, 2019
- Trump Proposes $86 Billion Spy Budget - March 18th, 2019
- South Korea DM: No Sign of Impending North Korea Missile Launch - March 18th, 2019
- Afghan Troops Frequently Robbed US-Funded Support Staff - March 18th, 2019