Following up on last night’s surprise attempt to attak the Russian airbase at Hmeimim by a drone belonging to a Syrian Islamist faction, a whole flurry of additional armed drones have made attempted runs at Russian bases along the Syrian coast on Monday.
According to a statement from the Russians, seven were shot down with anti-aircraft missiles, while the other six crashed and otherwise landed outside of the bases without doing any damage at all.
Hmeimim base was successfully attacked by rebels last week with artillery strikes, damaging several Russian planes. The drones so far haven’t done anything, but underscore the rebels’ willingness to keep trying to strike such targets.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army Makes Major Gains in Eastern Ghouta - March 23rd, 2018
- Kurdish Rebels Flee Iraq Border Area, Anticipating Turkish Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Trump Signs New Bill Slashing Aid to Palestinians - March 23rd, 2018
- Russia Intends to Substantially Cut Military Spending Over Next Five Years - March 23rd, 2018
- Majority of $1.3 Trillion US Omnibus Spending Bill Goes to Military - March 23rd, 2018