Following up on last night’s surprise attempt to attak the Russian airbase at Hmeimim by a drone belonging to a Syrian Islamist faction, a whole flurry of additional armed drones have made attempted runs at Russian bases along the Syrian coast on Monday.
According to a statement from the Russians, seven were shot down with anti-aircraft missiles, while the other six crashed and otherwise landed outside of the bases without doing any damage at all.
Hmeimim base was successfully attacked by rebels last week with artillery strikes, damaging several Russian planes. The drones so far haven’t done anything, but underscore the rebels’ willingness to keep trying to strike such targets.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pakistan Trying to Arrange New US-Taliban Talks - January 17th, 2019
- Fate of Arrested American Anchor for Iran's PressTV Remains Uncertain - January 17th, 2019
- Afghan, US Operations Kill at Least 57 Taliban Across Afghanistan - January 17th, 2019
- US Army Releases Critical History of the War in Iraq - January 17th, 2019
- Manbij Attack Gives US Hawks, and ISIS, Exactly What They Want - January 17th, 2019