Continuing the centerpiece of his foreign policy agenda, talking up a nuclear war with North Korea, President Trump today reacted to reports from North Korea’s Kim Jong Un, who warned he has a nuclear button and would use it if threatened by the US.
Trump declared that his own nuclear button is “a much bigger & more powerful one than his,” and adding that unlike Kim’s, his button “works.” This suggests the president believes the size of a nation’s nuclear arsenal is necessarily proportionate to the size of their button.
Trump’s suggestion that his button “works,” is the latest in a series of comments from US officials doubting North Korea’s nuclear capability. Defense Secretary James Mattis similarly insisted that North Korea’s arsenal was unproven.
These comments both suggest the US isn’t taking North Korea’s deterrent capabilities seriously, and that there is a serious risk that the Trump Administration will gamble on North Korea’s ability to retaliate with nuclear strikes on American cities in starting a huge war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills 30 Pro-Govt Fights Near Syrian City of Palmyra - May 22nd, 2018
- Scores Killed in Attacks Across Central Afghanistan - May 22nd, 2018
- Aide: US Contacting Members of Iraqi Cleric Sadr's Bloc - May 22nd, 2018
- US 'Plan B' With Iran Sets the Stage for War - May 22nd, 2018
- Israeli Military Says It Is First to Use F-35 in Combat - May 22nd, 2018