In Tuesday comments, National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster talked up the possibility of the US attacking North Korea, saying that President Trump has had the US continuing to “refine” its various military options, and the US is fully prepared to impose “denuclearization” by military force.
While US officials have generally pushed the idea that they favor diplomacy, McMaster very frankly admitted “we are not committed to a peaceful resolution,” and that the US goal is to force denuclearization at any cost.
McMaster’s comments are particularly concerning since over just the past week, the US has held a military exercise in South Korea which was a practice invasion of North Korea, including seizing all North Korean nuclear arms and removing them from the country.
Though analysts have agreed for decades that even a conventional war with North Korea would kill hundreds of thousands, potentially millions, the addition of North Korea’s nuclear arsenal risks making this one of the deadliest wars in generations in a very short period of time. Unfortunately, it appears that the US is still determined to see North Korea either unilaterally submit to all US demands, or start a huge war over it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Destroy Army Base in Northern Afghanistan, Kill 16 - November 11th, 2018
- Taliban Kill Dozens as Reinforcements Scramble to Afghan Shi'ite District - November 11th, 2018
- Koreas Disarm Front-Line 22 Guard Posts, Destroy 20 - November 11th, 2018
- Iraqi Parliament Pushes for Timetable on US Pullout - November 11th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least 41 Civilians in Eastern Syria - November 11th, 2018