While US officials have been talking up the idea of overtly attacking the Syrian military for months, and many have been loudly advocating picking a fight with both Syria and Russia since the last 7-day ceasefire ended, there had been no visibility on when such a decision would be made.
Now it looks like Friday’s the day, with President Obama and his top advisers planning a meeting to discuss the “military options” against Syria, which begins with attacking Syrian military bases and munitions depots, and would almost certainly lead to casualties among Russian troops embedded on those bases.
Russia has anticipated the possibility of US attacks, and has deployed the S-300 anti-aircraft defensive system into the country, which would allow them to shoot down US warplanes if they start attacking sites with Russian troops presence. Despite US officials saying they are well aware of this fact, they insist they won’t be deterred on the matter.
British Foreign Minister Boris Johnson also indicated Britain was considering attacking Syrian forces, despite parliament having already voted in 2013 explicitly to bar them from doing so. Johnson did, however, insist that such attacks would only happen as part of a coalition with the United States, and were not likely to happen soon.
Previous reports on the possibility of the US launching a war against Syria, and by extension Russia, have centered heavily on the idea that President Obama is somewhat averse to starting such a huge war just three months before his final term in office ends. Much of his cabinet, however, appears to disagree.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Kills Over 60 Syrian Troops in 48 Hours of Attacks - April 20th, 2019
- US Intel Doubts North Korea Weapons Test Was Successful - April 19th, 2019
- Ecuador Judge Orders Detention of Former Foreign Minister Connected to Assange - April 19th, 2019
- US Reveals Support for Former CIA Asset Hafter in Libya - April 19th, 2019
- Pompeo Dismisses North Korea Demands, Says He Can't Be Removed From Talks - April 19th, 2019