Previously entirely quiet on the battle over Ramadi, ISIS has released its own press releases on the fight today, claiming a counterattack and ambushes that killed dozens of Iraqi troops, along with ambushes against a police outpost.
The Iraqi military has not discussed its own casualties at all, but has claimed to have killed “many hundreds” of ISIS fighters more than a few times over the course of the fight, these claims continued even after they started claiming ISIS had only a couple hundred fighters left in Ramadi.
Before today, the only ISIS comments on Ramadi were the release of photographs showing calm in parts of Ramadi still under their control to undercut claims that the Iraqi military had taken most of the city.
Ultimately, however, near the death tolls presented by ISIS or the Iraqi military are all that credible, and until there is a resolution one way or another we won’t have a really good idea of what actually happened on the ground.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudis Say 88 Houthis Killed Saturday Across Yemen - February 17th, 2019
- Yemen Factions Agree on First Pullback From Hodeidah Port Area - February 17th, 2019
- Taliban Attack Kills All 32 Afghan Troops at Border Post - February 17th, 2019
- Kurdish Commander: Anti-ISIS Offensive Slowed by Presence of Civilians - February 15th, 2019
- US Military Aircraft to Deliver Aid to Venezuela's Border - February 15th, 2019