Previously entirely quiet on the battle over Ramadi, ISIS has released its own press releases on the fight today, claiming a counterattack and ambushes that killed dozens of Iraqi troops, along with ambushes against a police outpost.
The Iraqi military has not discussed its own casualties at all, but has claimed to have killed “many hundreds” of ISIS fighters more than a few times over the course of the fight, these claims continued even after they started claiming ISIS had only a couple hundred fighters left in Ramadi.
Before today, the only ISIS comments on Ramadi were the release of photographs showing calm in parts of Ramadi still under their control to undercut claims that the Iraqi military had taken most of the city.
Ultimately, however, near the death tolls presented by ISIS or the Iraqi military are all that credible, and until there is a resolution one way or another we won’t have a really good idea of what actually happened on the ground.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Army Makes Major Gains in Eastern Ghouta - March 23rd, 2018
- Kurdish Rebels Flee Iraq Border Area, Anticipating Turkish Attack - March 23rd, 2018
- Trump Signs New Bill Slashing Aid to Palestinians - March 23rd, 2018
- Russia Intends to Substantially Cut Military Spending Over Next Five Years - March 23rd, 2018
- Majority of $1.3 Trillion US Omnibus Spending Bill Goes to Military - March 23rd, 2018