Previously entirely quiet on the battle over Ramadi, ISIS has released its own press releases on the fight today, claiming a counterattack and ambushes that killed dozens of Iraqi troops, along with ambushes against a police outpost.
The Iraqi military has not discussed its own casualties at all, but has claimed to have killed “many hundreds” of ISIS fighters more than a few times over the course of the fight, these claims continued even after they started claiming ISIS had only a couple hundred fighters left in Ramadi.
Before today, the only ISIS comments on Ramadi were the release of photographs showing calm in parts of Ramadi still under their control to undercut claims that the Iraqi military had taken most of the city.
Ultimately, however, near the death tolls presented by ISIS or the Iraqi military are all that credible, and until there is a resolution one way or another we won’t have a really good idea of what actually happened on the ground.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Report: US Airstrike Kills Eight in Eastern Syria - June 21st, 2018
- Japan Halts Missile Attack Drills After Trump-Kim Summit - June 21st, 2018
- North Korea Denuclearization Has Already Started, Says Trump - June 21st, 2018
- Trump: North Korea Has Returned Remains of 200 US War Dead - June 21st, 2018
- Report Warns Taliban's 'Parallel State' Still Rules Large Swathes of Afghanistan - June 21st, 2018