Doctors Without Borders (MSF) reported a pair of barrel bombing attacks against one of their hospitals in Zafarana, in Syria’s Homs Province, saying they left at least seven people dead and 47 others wounded.
MSF officials said the incident was likely a “double-tap,” an incident in which an area is bombed and a second bombing follows hitting the nearest hospital to try to kill survivors. The first attack killed two people, and wounded 16.
As the wounded were rushed to the nearby hospital, three more barrel bombs slammed into the facility, bringing the overall death toll higher, and destroying key parts of the hospital and badly damaging some vital equipment.
Though there was no official claim of responsibility for the strike, the Syrian military is the one launching barrel bomb attacks in the area. The bombs, basically oil drums filled with explosives, have been heavily criticized as inaccurate.and causing inordinate civilian casualties.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- General: Pentagon to Soon Begin Drawdown of US Troops From Border - November 19th, 2018
- Trump, Pakistan PM Engage in War of Words on Twitter - November 19th, 2018
- Taliban: No Deadline for Ending Afghan War Reached in Meetings - November 19th, 2018
- Saudi FM Dismisses CIA Assessment of Khashoggi Killing - November 19th, 2018
- Pentagon Denies Killing Civilians in Eastern Syrian Airstrikes - November 19th, 2018