On a visit to the Ukrainian capital of Kiev, US Gen. Philip Breedlove, the Supreme Allied Commander for NATO, warned that Russia has the capability of invading Ukraine at some point in the future if they choose to do so.
While Ukraine often claims Russia has already invaded, Gen. Breedlove would only say that the Russian troops deployed in westernmost Russia meant they could theoretically invade.
Breedlove also claimed the Crimean Peninsula, the long-time home of the Russian Navy, which was annexed into the Russian Federation earlier this year, could also be used by Russia to impose control over much of the Black Sea.
He went on to accuse Russia of “training and equipping” eastern Ukrainian rebels in Donetsk and Luhansk, saying the US remains concerned about Russia’s role in the civil war.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition to Open Humanitarian Corridors Out of Yemen's Hodeidah Port - September 24th, 2018
- Trump Expects Announcement of Second Summit With North Korea 'Pretty Soon' - September 24th, 2018
- US Troops Will Remain in Syria, Officials Say - September 24th, 2018
- Bolton Slams Russia, Says S-300 Sale in Syria Is 'Significant Escalation' - September 24th, 2018
- Russia Will Provide S-300 Air Defense to Syria - September 24th, 2018