The Palestinian parliament is complaining about a growing Israeli military crackdown against the elected body, with Israeli troops regularly moving against MPs across thr West Bank.
In theory, the parliament has 84 members, but 36 of them are in Israeli jails right now. Of the 36 detainees, 24 of them are being held under “administrative detention” totally without charges.
Khalida Jarrar, an MP from Ramallah, one of the non-detainees, was woken up pre-dawn Wednesday by Israeli troops, who ordered her to relocate to Jericho. Israel claims she was “inciting” against Israel’s occupation of the West Bank.
Israel has been cracking down increasingly across the West Bank since the Gaza War began, labeling every public protest a “riot” and moving violently to crush any signs of dissent, particularly in East Jerusalem.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- At Least 30 Killed in Attacks Across Afghanistan - December 11th, 2018
- Iraqi Warplanes Strike Two ISIS Buildings in Eastern Syria - December 11th, 2018
- Trump Offers to Intervene in Huawei Case to Close Trade Deal - December 11th, 2018
- State Dept: Ending Yemen War 'Sends a Wrong Message' - December 11th, 2018
- Senate to Vote on Yemen War Challenge on Wednesday - December 11th, 2018