The Ukrainian military is continuing to escalate its attacks against the eastern portion of the country, announcing today that it is suspending the ceasefire at the area around the MH17 crash site.
Ukrainian forces had largely ignored the ceasefire at any rate, attacking several cities within the ceasefire zone in recent days. The announcement appears to portend even further escalation of the offensive against breakaway easterners.
The attacks continue to focus on the city of Donetsk, with intense artillery fire hammering a hospital in the city, hitting the pediatric dental wing and killing at least one civilian.
Rebel leader Aleksander Borondai announced he is stepping down as leader of the eastern rebels, becoming a deputy under new leader, Alexander Zakharchenko, a native of Donetsk. Borondai had been under criticism internationally as a “foreign fighter” because he was originally from Moscow, and says he hopes Zakharchenko will reflect the rebellion’s local nature.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian President's Account Blocked on Instagram - April 23rd, 2019
- Libyan Forces Push Hafter's Troops Out of Tripoli - April 23rd, 2019
- UN Report: War Has Set Back Yemen More Than 20 Years - April 23rd, 2019
- Navy SEALs were warned by commanders not to report Iraq war crimes - April 23rd, 2019
- Iran's Parliament Labels Entire US Military as Terrorists - April 23rd, 2019