A US Predator drone fired several missiles against Zoi Saidgai, in North Waziristan Agency, killing at least 20 people and destroying at least one house.
Pakistani officials dubbed all of the killed “militants,” claiming 12 of the 20 were Uzbeks, and were members of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan. The other eight were said to be local tribesmen.
The drone deaths were just part of the story, as Pakistani warplanes also pounded several cities, killing at least 35 other people in North Waziristan, again, all labeled “militants.”
Despite all of the claims of guilt, not a single one of the slain in any of the attacks has been named. This is not unusual, and indeed most victims of US or Pakistani attacks in the tribal areas are never publicly identified as anything beyond “suspect.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Airstrike in Northern Syria Kills 20 Civilians, Mostly Children - March 21st, 2018
- Britain, Russia Continue to Trade Accusations Over Salisbury Poisoning - March 21st, 2018
- US, North Korea, and South Korea Hold Constructive Talks in Finland - March 21st, 2018
- Israel Publicly Admits 2007 Attack on Syria 'Nuclear Reactor' - March 21st, 2018
- Trump Pushes Europe on Iran Deal, But May Kill Deal Either Way - March 21st, 2018