A US Predator drone fired several missiles against Zoi Saidgai, in North Waziristan Agency, killing at least 20 people and destroying at least one house.
Pakistani officials dubbed all of the killed “militants,” claiming 12 of the 20 were Uzbeks, and were members of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan. The other eight were said to be local tribesmen.
The drone deaths were just part of the story, as Pakistani warplanes also pounded several cities, killing at least 35 other people in North Waziristan, again, all labeled “militants.”
Despite all of the claims of guilt, not a single one of the slain in any of the attacks has been named. This is not unusual, and indeed most victims of US or Pakistani attacks in the tribal areas are never publicly identified as anything beyond “suspect.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Airstrikes Hit East Syria Military Site, 52 Killed - June 18th, 2018
- Turkish Airstrikes Kill 35 Kurdish PKK in Northern Iraq - June 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Offers Extension as Ramadan Ceasefire Expires - June 17th, 2018
- Saudi Warplanes Strike Airport in Yemen's Hodeidah - June 17th, 2018
- ISIS Suicide Bombers Kill 54 in Two Days in Eastern Afghanistan - June 17th, 2018