A US Predator drone fired several missiles against Zoi Saidgai, in North Waziristan Agency, killing at least 20 people and destroying at least one house.
Pakistani officials dubbed all of the killed “militants,” claiming 12 of the 20 were Uzbeks, and were members of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan. The other eight were said to be local tribesmen.
The drone deaths were just part of the story, as Pakistani warplanes also pounded several cities, killing at least 35 other people in North Waziristan, again, all labeled “militants.”
Despite all of the claims of guilt, not a single one of the slain in any of the attacks has been named. This is not unusual, and indeed most victims of US or Pakistani attacks in the tribal areas are never publicly identified as anything beyond “suspect.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition to Open Humanitarian Corridors Out of Yemen's Hodeidah Port - September 24th, 2018
- Trump Expects Announcement of Second Summit With North Korea 'Pretty Soon' - September 24th, 2018
- US Troops Will Remain in Syria, Officials Say - September 24th, 2018
- Bolton Slams Russia, Says S-300 Sale in Syria Is 'Significant Escalation' - September 24th, 2018
- Russia Will Provide S-300 Air Defense to Syria - September 24th, 2018