Ukraine’s military has resumed its invasion of the eastern protest city of Slovyansk today, after spending most of the weekend destroying checkpoints on the outskirts.
Locals reported nearly constant gunfire throughout the day, and at least 12 people killed overall, with four of the slain confirmed to be troops with Ukraine’s Interior Ministry. and 30 wounded. At least one of the slain was also a civilian with no connection to the protest movement.
The fighting also saw another helicopter shot down, the fourth military helicopter lost since Friday in the city, Two of the BMP Armored Personnel Carriers seized by protesters were also reportedly being chased by the troops, though it is unclear if they reclaimed them.
The Interior Ministry complained its offensive was being slowed by orders not to fire on civilians, but insisted that their policy would not change for the time being.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- France Remains Committed to Iran Nuclear Deal - February 19th, 2018
- Russian FM Slams Calls to Halt Idlib Offensive - February 19th, 2018
- Turkish Officials Hope to Resolve Manbij Issues With Dialogue With US - February 19th, 2018
- Strikes Kill Scores in Syria's Eastern Ghouta in the Past 24 Hours - February 19th, 2018
- Israel Arming at Least Seven Syrian Rebel Groups - February 19th, 2018