Ukraine’s military has resumed its invasion of the eastern protest city of Slovyansk today, after spending most of the weekend destroying checkpoints on the outskirts.
Locals reported nearly constant gunfire throughout the day, and at least 12 people killed overall, with four of the slain confirmed to be troops with Ukraine’s Interior Ministry. and 30 wounded. At least one of the slain was also a civilian with no connection to the protest movement.
The fighting also saw another helicopter shot down, the fourth military helicopter lost since Friday in the city, Two of the BMP Armored Personnel Carriers seized by protesters were also reportedly being chased by the troops, though it is unclear if they reclaimed them.
The Interior Ministry complained its offensive was being slowed by orders not to fire on civilians, but insisted that their policy would not change for the time being.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni al-Qaeda Denies Secret Deal With UAE - August 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Visits Ghazni to Declare Victory, but Fighting Is Ongoing - August 17th, 2018
- Bomb That Killed Scores of Children in Yemen Was US Supplied - August 17th, 2018
- US Redirects Syria Funds, Emphasizes It Is Not Withdrawing - August 17th, 2018
- Officials Worry Trump May Back Erik Prince Plan to 'Privatize' Afghan War - August 17th, 2018