Ukraine’s military has resumed its invasion of the eastern protest city of Slovyansk today, after spending most of the weekend destroying checkpoints on the outskirts.
Locals reported nearly constant gunfire throughout the day, and at least 12 people killed overall, with four of the slain confirmed to be troops with Ukraine’s Interior Ministry. and 30 wounded. At least one of the slain was also a civilian with no connection to the protest movement.
The fighting also saw another helicopter shot down, the fourth military helicopter lost since Friday in the city, Two of the BMP Armored Personnel Carriers seized by protesters were also reportedly being chased by the troops, though it is unclear if they reclaimed them.
The Interior Ministry complained its offensive was being slowed by orders not to fire on civilians, but insisted that their policy would not change for the time being.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli MPs Push Trump to Let Them Use Military Aid on Non-US Equipment - May 21st, 2018
- Syrian Army Has Full Control of Metro Damascus After ISIS Ouster - May 21st, 2018
- Trump to Press South Korea's Moon on Upcoming Kim Summit - May 21st, 2018
- South Koreans See John Bolton as an Obstacle to Trump-Kim Summit - May 21st, 2018
- As ISIS Shrinks in Iraq and Syria, US Military Focus Shifts to Afghanistan - May 21st, 2018