The war in Afghanistan is as bad as it’s ever been, but as the fighting moves from province to province, a few months this summer saw a relative calm in the capital city of Kabul. That calm was broken today.
In an attack officials say was a suicide car bombing, a Taliban bomber targeted a foreign military convoy, destroying too cars and causing considerable damage in the surrounding area.
Details are still emerging on the aftermath, but so far the only confirmed casualties were civilians, as a family of six in a passing car got caught up in the blast, with the mother and four children killed on the spot, and the father dying later of his wounds at the hospital.
Since the bombing destroyed multiple vehicles, it seems more casualties are probable. Unnamed ‘security guards’ also fired their weapons wildly for several minutes after the bombing, though officials say there was no insurgent at the site other than the bomber himself.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Again Gets Caught Up in Prediction of Syria Victory 'by Tonight' - March 21st, 2019
- Pompeo Threatens to Curb Israel Ties Over Growing Israeli Trade With China - March 21st, 2019
- Bolton Vows Action Against Venezuela's Maduro, Says 'the Window Is Closing' - March 21st, 2019
- Pentagon Sends B-52 Bombers to Europe for Exercises Amid Tensions With Russia - March 21st, 2019
- Trump Endorses Israeli Annexation of Golan Heights - March 21st, 2019