The war in Afghanistan is as bad as it’s ever been, but as the fighting moves from province to province, a few months this summer saw a relative calm in the capital city of Kabul. That calm was broken today.
In an attack officials say was a suicide car bombing, a Taliban bomber targeted a foreign military convoy, destroying too cars and causing considerable damage in the surrounding area.
Details are still emerging on the aftermath, but so far the only confirmed casualties were civilians, as a family of six in a passing car got caught up in the blast, with the mother and four children killed on the spot, and the father dying later of his wounds at the hospital.
Since the bombing destroyed multiple vehicles, it seems more casualties are probable. Unnamed ‘security guards’ also fired their weapons wildly for several minutes after the bombing, though officials say there was no insurgent at the site other than the bomber himself.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ceasefire Allows Thousands of Yemenis to Flee Port City of Hodeidah - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Evacuates Hundreds of White Helmets From Syria Into Jordan - July 22nd, 2018
- US Launches Campaign to Undermine Support for Iran's Leaders - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Offers to Reopen Gaza Crossing on Tuesday If Ceasefire Holds - July 22nd, 2018
- Israel Attacks Syrian Military Site in Hama Province - July 22nd, 2018