The war in Afghanistan is as bad as it’s ever been, but as the fighting moves from province to province, a few months this summer saw a relative calm in the capital city of Kabul. That calm was broken today.
In an attack officials say was a suicide car bombing, a Taliban bomber targeted a foreign military convoy, destroying too cars and causing considerable damage in the surrounding area.
Details are still emerging on the aftermath, but so far the only confirmed casualties were civilians, as a family of six in a passing car got caught up in the blast, with the mother and four children killed on the spot, and the father dying later of his wounds at the hospital.
Since the bombing destroyed multiple vehicles, it seems more casualties are probable. Unnamed ‘security guards’ also fired their weapons wildly for several minutes after the bombing, though officials say there was no insurgent at the site other than the bomber himself.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition to Open Humanitarian Corridors Out of Yemen's Hodeidah Port - September 24th, 2018
- Trump Expects Announcement of Second Summit With North Korea 'Pretty Soon' - September 24th, 2018
- US Troops Will Remain in Syria, Officials Say - September 24th, 2018
- Bolton Slams Russia, Says S-300 Sale in Syria Is 'Significant Escalation' - September 24th, 2018
- Russia Will Provide S-300 Air Defense to Syria - September 24th, 2018