Despite the Yemeni government already terming the terror plot in their nation “foiled,” US drones continue to pound the nation’s south and southeast, with three more attacks reported today in Maarib and Hadramawt Provinces, killing six in Maarib and three each in two attacks on Hadramawt.
The latest two attacks targeted cars, and none of the slain were identified, though all have been dubbed “suspected militants” as is common practice in Yemen whenever the US kills somebody.
The latest strikes mark eight in the last 10 days, with 34 reported killed overall. None of the victims of any of the strikes have been identified by name, and mostly the drones targeted cars traveling from one town to another.
Officials have suggested the strikes were part of a campaign to foil a plot by al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) to take over several cities, mostly in Hadramawt, though since Yemen already dubbed that plot foiled it is unclear why the strikes are continuing.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Europe to Resist US Sanctions on Firms That Do Business With Cuba - April 18th, 2019
- France Denies Their Weapons Were Used Against Civilians in Yemen - April 18th, 2019
- SecDef: North Korea Weapons Test 'Not a Ballistic Missile' - April 18th, 2019
- US, Russia Derail UN Call for Libya Ceasefire - April 18th, 2019
- Qatar: Afghan Peace Talks Are Postponed Indefinitely - April 18th, 2019