Another in a long line of suicide attacks by rebel factions hit a business district in Damascus today, near a public school. The attack killed at least 15 people, damaged surrounding buildings and wounded 53 others.
Residents reported gunfire was heard near the scene after the attack. Reports from Syrian state media say that shots were fired in the area to clear bystanders and make room for ambulances to get to survivors.
So far it is unclear what faction was responsible for the suicide bombing, but the belief on both sides seems to be that the al-Nusra Front is likely to blame. While many of the secular rebels have eschewed the ‘suicide bombing against civilians’ model, the al-Qaeda linked Nusra has bragged about its use of similar tactics in the past.
It is unclear what exactly was attacked in the city, as the school appears to have been the closest thing to the site. The Finance Ministry and Central Bank are in the same district, but neither was damaged in the attack.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Again Gets Caught Up in Prediction of Syria Victory 'by Tonight' - March 21st, 2019
- Pompeo Threatens to Curb Israel Ties Over Growing Israeli Trade With China - March 21st, 2019
- Bolton Vows Action Against Venezuela's Maduro, Says 'the Window Is Closing' - March 21st, 2019
- Pentagon Sends B-52 Bombers to Europe for Exercises Amid Tensions With Russia - March 21st, 2019
- Trump Endorses Israeli Annexation of Golan Heights - March 21st, 2019