It’s one of those things you’re not supposed to brag about, but Syrian rebels are praising their ability to attract child soldiers and turn them into “killing machines” to use against the Assad government.
“Children are the best soldiers I know,” declared former Syrian Sgt. Abdel Razzaq, a defector who is now training child soldiers to “not be scared of war and not to hesitate when the time comes to kill.”
Razzaq’s “academy,” a former school in a rebel-held part of the Aleppo Province, insists that they do not force anyone into joining, and that they have no shortage of children eager to join up and learn to fight.
UNICEF seemed to back this in their own statements, saying that there was “no active recruitment of children” and that it was rather parents pushing their teenaged children to join the war. International law still prohibits anyone from using child soldiers.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Al-Shabaab Ambushes Ethiopian Troops in Somalia - January 21st, 2019
- US and North Korea Wrap Up 'Intensive' Denuclearization Talks - January 21st, 2019
- Israel Destroyed Eight Syrian Air Defense Targets, Killed 11 Troops - January 21st, 2019
- US Troops Targeted in Second Northeast Syria Bombing - January 21st, 2019
- Israeli Election Ad Brags on Bombing Gaza Back to the Stone Age - January 21st, 2019