Following yesterday’s news that France has closed a number of embassies across the Middle East, Germany has announced that they will close every embassy across the Muslim World for Friday, fearing protests could turn violent.
Last Friday the German embassy in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum was sacked, apparently in response to anti-US anger stemming from a YouTube film trailer of an anti-Muslim film.
Anger at the US seems to still be the focus, while the release of a French magazine full of cartoons of Mohammed is the impetus for the French closure. Though nothing German has come out yet, the satirical German magazine Titanic has said it will publish an issue of Mohammed cartoons later in the month.
The German closures will have little impact, as officials say that many of the embassies are closed anyhow because Friday is the Muslim religious day, and the traditional day off in the region. Diplomats have been given specific instructions to avoid the embassies tomorrow, however.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- ISIS Attack in Syria's Manbij Kills Four US Troops, Wounds Three - January 16th, 2019
- Taliban Threatens to Pull Out of Peace Talks Over US Troop Presence in Afghanistan - January 15th, 2019
- US, Russia Trade Accusations of Nuclear Deal Violations - January 15th, 2019
- Mnuchin Urges Senate to Allow Trump to Ease Russia Sanctions - January 15th, 2019
- Trump May Recognize Opposition Leader as Venezuelan President - January 15th, 2019