Following yesterday’s news that France has closed a number of embassies across the Middle East, Germany has announced that they will close every embassy across the Muslim World for Friday, fearing protests could turn violent.
Last Friday the German embassy in the Sudanese capital of Khartoum was sacked, apparently in response to anti-US anger stemming from a YouTube film trailer of an anti-Muslim film.
Anger at the US seems to still be the focus, while the release of a French magazine full of cartoons of Mohammed is the impetus for the French closure. Though nothing German has come out yet, the satirical German magazine Titanic has said it will publish an issue of Mohammed cartoons later in the month.
The German closures will have little impact, as officials say that many of the embassies are closed anyhow because Friday is the Muslim religious day, and the traditional day off in the region. Diplomats have been given specific instructions to avoid the embassies tomorrow, however.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Afghan High Peace Council Says Talk of US Troop Withdrawal Is Premature - October 15th, 2018
- US Companies Back Out of Saudi Events as Tensions Mount - October 15th, 2018
- Saudi Embassy in DC Cancels Annual Diplomatic Reception - October 15th, 2018
- Report: Saudis Preparing to Admit Journalist Died During 'Interrogation' - October 15th, 2018
- Taliban Kills Dozens of Afghan Forces in Attacks on Checkpoints - October 14th, 2018