The NATO occupation of Afghanistan continues to get more complicated, and US troops facing the growing possibility of “green-on-blue” attacks are now building fortified safe rooms to hide in just in case such attacks break out on Afghan bases they happen to be on.
Army Command Sgt. Maj. William Johnson openly confirmed the safe rooms, saying that it was important to plan for “another Quran burning incident” and for US troops to have places to hide in case violence breaks out on a massive scale against them.
“It’s something that we’ve always thought about,” Johnson added. 12 US troops have been killed this month alone in “green-on-blue” attacks, and once rare occurrences are now becoming a several time a week reality.
Interestingly, the troops are calling these safe rooms “Alamos,” named after the Alamo Mission in Texas, which during the Texas Revolution was sieged by Mexican forces. As soldiers like Johnson talk about Alamoing “until reinforcements arrive” it is noteworthy that the Alamo was a huge military defeat for the Texas forces, and that virtually everyone within was killed.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Israeli Ambassador to France Slammed for Attempt to Censor News - October 16th, 2018
- Suspects in Journalist's Disappearance Linked to Saudi Crown Prince - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Turkey to Expand Military Operations Against Syrian Kurds - October 16th, 2018
- Koreas Agree to Reconnect Rail, Road Links - October 16th, 2018
- Erdogan: Toxic Materials Found in Saudi Consulate - October 16th, 2018