Israel’s top television media outlet, Channel 2 News, has announced today that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak are extremely close to finalizing a decision to attack Iran, saying that the decision could be made any day now.
The two have been pushing for a war for quite some time and are seen “on the brink ” of approving it despite strong opposition from the Israeli military leadership. The news follows unsubstantiated claims earlier this week that Iran’s civilian program is nearing a “breakthrough” and that Netanyahu is convinced the US won’t launch the war for them.
The reports have the same timetable we’ve been seeing for months now, with Israel launching the attack in the weeks leading up to the US Presidential election in November. In February US officials termed the weeks before the vote a “sweet spot” for such a war.
It also includes an analysis of the US election, with Israelis deciding Obama is unlikely to attack Iran before the election and that neither he nor Mitt Romney would be liable to do so in the first year after the vote.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Destroy Army Base in Northern Afghanistan, Kill 16 - November 11th, 2018
- Taliban Kill Dozens as Reinforcements Scramble to Afghan Shi'ite District - November 11th, 2018
- Koreas Disarm Front-Line 22 Guard Posts, Destroy 20 - November 11th, 2018
- Iraqi Parliament Pushes for Timetable on US Pullout - November 11th, 2018
- US Airstrikes Kill at Least 41 Civilians in Eastern Syria - November 11th, 2018