Marking the second “green-on-blue” attack in the past two days, an Afghan soldiers has turned his gun on NATO soldiers, injuring two US soldiers before being killed himself in return fire.
Afghan officials familiar with the incident say that the soldier, who has not been named, was carrying out training missions with the US forces in Faryab Province. There was no indication of an argument before the shooting, but the Taliban claimed credit for it.
Just yesterday, an Afghan policeman attacked and killed three US civilian contractors, who were also involved in a training mission in the Herat Province. An Afghan translator and an unnamed foreign adviser were also wounded.
Such attacks have become increasingly common over the past year, and while a few have involved Taliban “infiltrators” most of them have been the result of arguments or disagreements with the occupation forces.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM Calls for Prisoner Swap With US - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM: Trump Aims for Talks, Bolton Wants Conflict - April 24th, 2019
- ISIS Battles Taliban for Control of Eastern Afghanistan Villages - April 24th, 2019