Speaking today on ABC’s “This Week,” Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta warned against allowing any military related spending cuts next say, saying that any cuts would be “disastrous to national security.”
Panetta has repeatedly insisted that the theoretical cuts, which are mostly back-loaded at any rate, would be a calamity. Today he added that the Pentagon, which has the largest military budget of any military in the history of humanity, has been “diligent” in keeping the costs down.
House Republicans have been pushing to exempt the Pentagon from the “automatic” cuts that might be imposed in an attempt to balance the budget. The Senate has so far resisted the effort.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni Forces Stop Houthis Attempt to Reopen Hodeidah Supply Route - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Threatens to Send Military to Close Border With Mexico - October 18th, 2018
- US Opposes Koreas' New No-Fly Zone Plans - October 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Bans US Aid Groups From North Korea - October 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker: Trump Must End Intel Clampdown on Khashoggi - October 18th, 2018