Speaking today on ABC’s “This Week,” Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta warned against allowing any military related spending cuts next say, saying that any cuts would be “disastrous to national security.”
Panetta has repeatedly insisted that the theoretical cuts, which are mostly back-loaded at any rate, would be a calamity. Today he added that the Pentagon, which has the largest military budget of any military in the history of humanity, has been “diligent” in keeping the costs down.
House Republicans have been pushing to exempt the Pentagon from the “automatic” cuts that might be imposed in an attempt to balance the budget. The Senate has so far resisted the effort.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Suicide Car Bomber Kills 44 in Attack on Indian Police Bus in Kashmir - February 14th, 2019
- Pakistan Confirms Hosting US-Taliban Talks Next Week - February 14th, 2019
- US Interim Defense Chief: No Afghan Pullout Without NATO Coordination - February 14th, 2019
- Pompeo: Peace and Stability 'Impossible' Without Confronting Iran - February 14th, 2019
- Pence Lashes Out at Europeans, Demands End to Iran Nuclear Deal - February 14th, 2019