Speaking today on ABC’s “This Week,” Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta warned against allowing any military related spending cuts next say, saying that any cuts would be “disastrous to national security.”
Panetta has repeatedly insisted that the theoretical cuts, which are mostly back-loaded at any rate, would be a calamity. Today he added that the Pentagon, which has the largest military budget of any military in the history of humanity, has been “diligent” in keeping the costs down.
House Republicans have been pushing to exempt the Pentagon from the “automatic” cuts that might be imposed in an attempt to balance the budget. The Senate has so far resisted the effort.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon: Turkish Invasion of NE Syria Is Unacceptable - December 12th, 2018
- Afghan Forces Abandon Western District After Taliban Attacks - December 12th, 2018
- Korean Troops Peacefully Cross DMZ for First Time Ever - December 12th, 2018
- Yemen Warring Parties Reach Deal on Reopening Sanaa Airport - December 12th, 2018
- Trump Stands by Saudi Crown Prince Despite Congressional Opposition - December 12th, 2018