With fighting continuing in and around the capital, Yemeni tribesmen today attacked a Republican Guard base north of Sanaa, capturing it after a clash which the Defense Ministry claims killed a brigadier as well as a number of fighters on both sides.
Reports have the tribesmen losing only four fighters in the attack, and capturing at least 30 of the Republican Guard fighters when they took the base.
This is the second time the regime has lost a Republican Guard base near the capital, with a previous base falling last week when large numbers of protesters marched in and chased the guards away. No fighting was reported that time, however.
The loss of a key base in open combat points to the reality of what is shaping up to be a civil war around the capital, and one which the US-backed Saleh forces don’t appear particularly capable of winning.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Yemeni al-Qaeda Denies Secret Deal With UAE - August 17th, 2018
- Afghan President Visits Ghazni to Declare Victory, but Fighting Is Ongoing - August 17th, 2018
- Bomb That Killed Scores of Children in Yemen Was US Supplied - August 17th, 2018
- US Redirects Syria Funds, Emphasizes It Is Not Withdrawing - August 17th, 2018
- Officials Worry Trump May Back Erik Prince Plan to 'Privatize' Afghan War - August 17th, 2018