With fighting continuing in and around the capital, Yemeni tribesmen today attacked a Republican Guard base north of Sanaa, capturing it after a clash which the Defense Ministry claims killed a brigadier as well as a number of fighters on both sides.
Reports have the tribesmen losing only four fighters in the attack, and capturing at least 30 of the Republican Guard fighters when they took the base.
This is the second time the regime has lost a Republican Guard base near the capital, with a previous base falling last week when large numbers of protesters marched in and chased the guards away. No fighting was reported that time, however.
The loss of a key base in open combat points to the reality of what is shaping up to be a civil war around the capital, and one which the US-backed Saleh forces don’t appear particularly capable of winning.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Houses Passes $717 Billion Military Spending Bill - May 24th, 2018
- Trump Cancels North Korea Summit, Brags of US Nukes - May 24th, 2018
- North Korea: Up to US If Summit Will Happen, Or Nuclear Showdown - May 23rd, 2018
- Pentagon Uninvites China From Joint Naval Exercises - May 23rd, 2018
- Iran Sets Out Conditions for Europe to Save Nuclear Deal - May 23rd, 2018