With fighting continuing in and around the capital, Yemeni tribesmen today attacked a Republican Guard base north of Sanaa, capturing it after a clash which the Defense Ministry claims killed a brigadier as well as a number of fighters on both sides.
Reports have the tribesmen losing only four fighters in the attack, and capturing at least 30 of the Republican Guard fighters when they took the base.
This is the second time the regime has lost a Republican Guard base near the capital, with a previous base falling last week when large numbers of protesters marched in and chased the guards away. No fighting was reported that time, however.
The loss of a key base in open combat points to the reality of what is shaping up to be a civil war around the capital, and one which the US-backed Saleh forces don’t appear particularly capable of winning.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Pentagon Looks for Another Job for McMaster, Possibly Afghanistan - February 22nd, 2018
- Russia Blocks UN Ceasefire Call on Eastern Ghouta Over Islamists' Inclusion - February 22nd, 2018
- Aid Group Faults Saudi 'Aid' Plan for Yemen as War Tactic - February 22nd, 2018
- Top Turkish Official Accuses Kurds of Releasing ISIS for Terror Attacks - February 22nd, 2018
- Kurdish YPG Urges Syrian Army to Help Stop Turkish Invasion - February 22nd, 2018