The Benghazi-based Transitional Council (NTC) of Libyan rebels has been well-documented in their efforts to centralize control over all opposition, but was apparently less than successful in keeping on the same page as the rebel movement in the western city of Misrata.
Now, with the NTC rebels poised to seize control over the nation, the city of Misrata is erupting in protest, with angry demonstrators condemning the NTC’s selection of a Gadhafi ally, Gen. Shkal, as the Tripoli security boss.
The NTC claims Shkal turned informant in May, and had been passing information to them. His unit, however, the Khamis Brigade, was at the center of attacking Misrata, and was involved in several bloody firefights was the Misrata rebels.
The NTC seems to have sold NATO on the move as part of having an “inclusive” government, which is to say including many of Gadhafi’s former cronies. If they are included, however, it may well be that the Misrata rebels are going to opt-out.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Ukraine's President-Elect Demands Sanctions Against Russia Over Passports - April 24th, 2019
- Kim Visits Russia to Meet Putin on Nuclear, Peace Process - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM Calls for Prisoner Swap With US - April 24th, 2019
- Iran FM: Trump Aims for Talks, Bolton Wants Conflict - April 24th, 2019
- ISIS Battles Taliban for Control of Eastern Afghanistan Villages - April 24th, 2019