Officials reported ‘intense bombardment’ of the South Waziristan Agency by Pakistan’s military, as General Parvez Kayani vowed to cleanse the area of people with an “anti-state agenda.”
Pakistan’s military insists the offensive is going extremely well, though so far they have only managed to capture one hilltop and a tiny village, and the village took over a week of non-stop fighting to gain control over.
Officials say they estimate that the conflict will only take another six to eight weeks, but concede that the offensive is open-ended. If past examples are any indication, it will likely go on well beyond the projected end date.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Congressman: US 'Very Seriously' Training for Attack on North Korea - January 16th, 2018
- 5,000 Yemen Children Killed or Wounded in War Since 2015 - January 16th, 2018
- US Freezes More Than Half of Aid to UN Palestinian Refugee Agency - January 16th, 2018
- Major Clashes in Libyan Capital, at Least 20 Killed, Airport Closed - January 15th, 2018
- Aid Cranes Arrive at Key North Yemen Port of Hodeidah - January 15th, 2018