Witness in a refugee camp in northern Yemen are reporting today that the Yemeni military has launched a series of air strikes against the camp. Local officials confirmed the strike, and one ambulance driver reported that dozens were killed and over 100 wounded in the attacks.
Though exact details on the ground are difficult to ascertain, some local outlets have reportedly put the death toll as high as 85. The Yemeni central government, despite the confirmations from local officials deny that any such incidents even took place.
Last month, Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh vowed to crush all sedition among the Shi'[ites in the northern part of the country, insisting that the era of “responsibility and mercy” had come to an end.
Though Saleh later announced a ceasefire for humanitarian reasons, the Yemeni military announced that it would not abide by the ceasefire because it believes that it is winning the fight against the separatists.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Cleric Sadr Calls for Delay in Forming Iraqi Govt as Protests Grow - July 19th, 2018
- Putin: Talks on Extending START Nuclear Treaty Must Start Now - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Invites Putin to White House for Second Summit - July 19th, 2018
- Afghan Defense Ministry Confirms Civilians Killed in Kunduz Airstrike - July 19th, 2018
- Trump Says Critics Badly Want War With Russia - July 19th, 2018