Witness in a refugee camp in northern Yemen are reporting today that the Yemeni military has launched a series of air strikes against the camp. Local officials confirmed the strike, and one ambulance driver reported that dozens were killed and over 100 wounded in the attacks.
Though exact details on the ground are difficult to ascertain, some local outlets have reportedly put the death toll as high as 85. The Yemeni central government, despite the confirmations from local officials deny that any such incidents even took place.
Last month, Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh vowed to crush all sedition among the Shi'[ites in the northern part of the country, insisting that the era of “responsibility and mercy” had come to an end.
Though Saleh later announced a ceasefire for humanitarian reasons, the Yemeni military announced that it would not abide by the ceasefire because it believes that it is winning the fight against the separatists.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Announces New Sanctions Against Iran, Targeting Former Nuclear Scientists - March 22nd, 2019
- Trump's Golan Heights Move Broadly Condemned Worldwide - March 22nd, 2019
- White House Again Declares Victory Over ISIS, But Fighting Continues - March 22nd, 2019
- Pompeo: 'Possible' God Sent Trump to Be Savior of Israel - March 22nd, 2019
- UN Rights Council Accuses Israel of War Crimes in Gaza - March 22nd, 2019