Locals are reporting today that civilians in the South Waziristan Agency of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) are fleeing their homes ahead of reports that the Pakistani military is planning a military operation in the area.
Sources say the June offensive will involve “huge numbers of troops” and will be aimed at establishing government control over the largely lawless tribal areas. Most of the fleeing tribesmen are taking their families to stay with relatives in cities along the border between FATA and the North-West Frontier Province (NWFP). Officials in the Tank district of NWFP are discussing the situation, fearing that a larger number of civilians would be fleeing in the days to come.
The relatively calm portions of the NWFP are already beset by over a million refugees from the government’s various other offensives. Those that can are staying with relatives, but increasing numbers are crowded into small camps ill-prepared for such an influx.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump Expects to Meet Kim Again After Hanoi Summit - February 20th, 2019
- Putin Warns US Against Putting Missiles in Europe to Target Russia - February 20th, 2019
- US Envoy 'Warns' Lebanon Over Hezbollah Cabinet Posts - February 19th, 2019
- Gen. Votel Contradicts Trump on Foreign Policy, Now Hypes Afghanistan 'Threat' - February 19th, 2019
- Ahead of New Summit, Trump Says 'No Rush' for North Korea Denuclearization - February 19th, 2019