The Pakistani military continued to shell the Swat Valley today, and reported that only seven militants were among the at least 18 people killed. 11 militants and an unknown number of civilians were also wounded the attacks.
The military has been escalating its attacks in the region in recent days, as the Tehreek-e Taliban Pakistan (TTP) has been asserting growing control, including setting up its own rival court system which much of the Swati population is reportedly choosing over the government’s courts.
Chief of Military Staff Parvez Kayani vowed that the military had the will and resolve to return control over the Swat Valley to the government. Fighting in the region has endured for months however, and much of the military has been shifted from fighting along the Afghan border as tensions have increased with India.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- After CNN Report, Facebook Censors Pages With Claimed Links to Russia - February 18th, 2019
- US, EU, and Kurds at Odds Over ISIS Prisoners in Syria - February 18th, 2019
- Syrian Kurdish Commander Wants US to Halt Pullout, Keep 1,500 Troops in Syria - February 18th, 2019
- Venezuela, Richard Branson Plan Dueling Concerts Along Colombian Border - February 18th, 2019
- Trump: Venezuelan Military Members Must Abandon Maduro or 'Lose Everything' - February 18th, 2019