A video clip has emerged from a recent talk by National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster, is which he accused Russia of “a sophisticated effort” to meddle in the upcoming Mexican elections.
McMaster claimed that the public had seen “initial signs” of such meddling, but did not elaborate in the talks. The White House has subsequently refused to comment on the accusation.
Recent media reports have suggested that the ruling PRI has been setting the stage for a rigged election, with changes to the internal security laws made supposedly to prevent larger protests in such an eventuality.
The problem is, such allegations haven’t had even a plausible connection to Russia, and the US claims seem based on just the ongoing US supposition that Russia would want to be involved in anything. In keeping with that, CIA Director Mike Pompeo accused Russia of interfering in the 2018 US Congressional elections, even though campaigning hasn’t really even started in that case.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition Offers Plan to 'Protect' Hodeidah as Civilians Flee - June 22nd, 2018
- Taliban Kill Four, Kidnap Scores in Southern Afghanistan Raid - June 22nd, 2018
- US, Afghan Forces Killed Over 160 ISIS in Three-Week Offensive - June 22nd, 2018
- North and South Korea Agree to New Round of Family Reunions - June 22nd, 2018
- Hamas Negotiating 'Comprehensive Deal' for Truce With Israel - June 22nd, 2018