The latest in a series of Saudi airstrikes killing a number of civilian bystanders in Yemen saw warplanes attack a popular restaurant in the port of Hodeidah on Saturday, killing at least 20 and wounding a number of others.
The attacks, in the al-Jarrahi District, targeted the crowded restaurant and destroyed three taxi cabs that were parked outside. Everyone in the cabs was killed, and dozens of other casualties were reported in the restaurant.
Saudi officials offered no indication why the strikes targeted the restaurant, though this isn’t particularly surprising, as the Saudis have rarely offered comments in recent weeks related to their strikes that kill civilians.
Attacking Hodeidah has become increasingly common, however, with Saudi forces trying to soften up the defenses of the last port held by the northern Houthi movement. Such strikes, however, have tended to target civilian infrastructure.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Plans to 'Counter' Russia and China in Africa - December 13th, 2018
- Bolton: Trump Won't Meet Putin While Russia Holds Ukrainian Ships - December 13th, 2018
- Turkey Builds Up Military at Syria Border for Planned Offensive - December 13th, 2018
- Israel to Approve Thousands of Unauthorized West Bank Settler Homes - December 13th, 2018
- Yemen Talks End With Ceasefire Agreed for Hodeidah - December 13th, 2018