In Tuesday comments, National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster talked up the possibility of the US attacking North Korea, saying that President Trump has had the US continuing to “refine” its various military options, and the US is fully prepared to impose “denuclearization” by military force.
While US officials have generally pushed the idea that they favor diplomacy, McMaster very frankly admitted “we are not committed to a peaceful resolution,” and that the US goal is to force denuclearization at any cost.
McMaster’s comments are particularly concerning since over just the past week, the US has held a military exercise in South Korea which was a practice invasion of North Korea, including seizing all North Korean nuclear arms and removing them from the country.
Though analysts have agreed for decades that even a conventional war with North Korea would kill hundreds of thousands, potentially millions, the addition of North Korea’s nuclear arsenal risks making this one of the deadliest wars in generations in a very short period of time. Unfortunately, it appears that the US is still determined to see North Korea either unilaterally submit to all US demands, or start a huge war over it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018