In Tuesday comments, National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster talked up the possibility of the US attacking North Korea, saying that President Trump has had the US continuing to “refine” its various military options, and the US is fully prepared to impose “denuclearization” by military force.
While US officials have generally pushed the idea that they favor diplomacy, McMaster very frankly admitted “we are not committed to a peaceful resolution,” and that the US goal is to force denuclearization at any cost.
McMaster’s comments are particularly concerning since over just the past week, the US has held a military exercise in South Korea which was a practice invasion of North Korea, including seizing all North Korean nuclear arms and removing them from the country.
Though analysts have agreed for decades that even a conventional war with North Korea would kill hundreds of thousands, potentially millions, the addition of North Korea’s nuclear arsenal risks making this one of the deadliest wars in generations in a very short period of time. Unfortunately, it appears that the US is still determined to see North Korea either unilaterally submit to all US demands, or start a huge war over it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Saudi Coalition to Open Humanitarian Corridors Out of Yemen's Hodeidah Port - September 24th, 2018
- Trump Expects Announcement of Second Summit With North Korea 'Pretty Soon' - September 24th, 2018
- US Troops Will Remain in Syria, Officials Say - September 24th, 2018
- Bolton Slams Russia, Says S-300 Sale in Syria Is 'Significant Escalation' - September 24th, 2018
- Russia Will Provide S-300 Air Defense to Syria - September 24th, 2018