In Tuesday comments, National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster talked up the possibility of the US attacking North Korea, saying that President Trump has had the US continuing to “refine” its various military options, and the US is fully prepared to impose “denuclearization” by military force.
While US officials have generally pushed the idea that they favor diplomacy, McMaster very frankly admitted “we are not committed to a peaceful resolution,” and that the US goal is to force denuclearization at any cost.
McMaster’s comments are particularly concerning since over just the past week, the US has held a military exercise in South Korea which was a practice invasion of North Korea, including seizing all North Korean nuclear arms and removing them from the country.
Though analysts have agreed for decades that even a conventional war with North Korea would kill hundreds of thousands, potentially millions, the addition of North Korea’s nuclear arsenal risks making this one of the deadliest wars in generations in a very short period of time. Unfortunately, it appears that the US is still determined to see North Korea either unilaterally submit to all US demands, or start a huge war over it.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Says They Killed 45 ISIS Members in Syria Airstrikes - June 24th, 2018
- UN Offers to Manage Yemen Aid Port of Hodeidah - June 24th, 2018
- Pentagon Sends Coffins, Flags to DMZ to Receive War Remains From North Korea - June 24th, 2018
- Iraqi Cleric Sadr Forms Political Alliance With PM Abadi - June 24th, 2018
- Judges Limit Iraq Vote Recount to 'Suspect' Ballots - June 24th, 2018