US military officials are reportedly furious after Turkey’s state media published the locations of 10 previously undisclosed US military positions inside Syria, saying that the publication was a major security breech and endangers the lives of troops.
The list provided not only the locations of previously secret bases, but also provided estimates on the number of US troops inside. They say they got all of this information through reporting trips inside Syria and observing the facilities.
US officials see this as petty move by Turkey to spite the US for its continued support of the Kurdish YPG. Turkey considers the YPG “terrorists,” and has been fighting against YPG forces further to the west, in the Afrin District of Syria.
Turkey’s Erdogan government, however, denies any involvement in the leaking of the locations by its own state media, saying they had no role in the decision-making process and would’ve considered it “unthinkable” to publish the informaton.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Iraq Says They Killed 45 ISIS Members in Syria Airstrikes - June 24th, 2018
- UN Offers to Manage Yemen Aid Port of Hodeidah - June 24th, 2018
- Pentagon Sends Coffins, Flags to DMZ to Receive War Remains From North Korea - June 24th, 2018
- Iraqi Cleric Sadr Forms Political Alliance With PM Abadi - June 24th, 2018
- Judges Limit Iraq Vote Recount to 'Suspect' Ballots - June 24th, 2018