A November 4 attack at Jordan’s air base at al-Jafr killed three US soldiers, who were later reported to have been working for the CIA at the time. Jordan officials have downplayed the incident, suggesting it was a misunderstanding and that the US troops failed to stop at a checkpoint.
The FBI has been investigating the matter, suggesting the incident may have been an act of terror. Officials now say there is video footage of the incident which supporters the idea that the shooting was a deliberate attack by the Jordanian soldier.
The footage shows the convoy of US soldiers stopping at the checkpoint, and the soldier waving the first vehicle through the checkpoint, then turning and opening fire on the US troops in the second and third vehicle. The US troops in the third vehicle returned fire.
The Jordanian soldier was severely wounded in the incident but survived. He is presently in a medically induced coma at a hospital in Jordan. Jordanian officials offered a secondary explanation claiming that one of the Americans’ gun went off by mistake, starting the incident.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Civilians Leave ISIS-Area in Eastern Syria After Evacuation Deal - September 22nd, 2017
- Catalonia Closes Ranks as Outrage over Crackdown Grows - September 22nd, 2017
- Spanish Prosecutors Formally Accuse Catalan Separatists of Sedition - September 22nd, 2017
- Thousands More Spanish Police Arrive for Catalonia Crackdown - September 22nd, 2017
- US-Made Bomb Killed 16 Civilians in Yemen's Capital - September 22nd, 2017