Shooter Waved Vehicle Through, Then Opened Fire
A November 4 attack at Jordan’s air base at al-Jafr killed three US soldiers, who were later reported to have been working for the CIA at the time. Jordan officials have downplayed the incident, suggesting it was a misunderstanding and that the US troops failed to stop at a checkpoint.
The FBI has been investigating the matter, suggesting the incident may have been an act of terror. Officials now say there is video footage of the incident which supporters the idea that the shooting was a deliberate attack by the Jordanian soldier.
The footage shows the convoy of US soldiers stopping at the checkpoint, and the soldier waving the first vehicle through the checkpoint, then turning and opening fire on the US troops in the second and third vehicle. The US troops in the third vehicle returned fire.
The Jordanian soldier was severely wounded in the incident but survived. He is presently in a medically induced coma at a hospital in Jordan. Jordanian officials offered a secondary explanation claiming that one of the Americans’ gun went off by mistake, starting the incident.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Commander Wants More Combat Troops in Europe to Fight Russia - March 28th, 2017
- Senate Backs NATO Membership for Montenegro - March 28th, 2017
- EU 'Ready to Intervene' If Bosnia Violence Erupts - March 28th, 2017
- Fighting Pauses as Engineers Move to Fix Syria's Tabqa Dam - March 28th, 2017
- UN Urges US, Iraq to Rethink Mosul Strategy Amid Civilian Deaths - March 28th, 2017