A November 4 attack at Jordan’s air base at al-Jafr killed three US soldiers, who were later reported to have been working for the CIA at the time. Jordan officials have downplayed the incident, suggesting it was a misunderstanding and that the US troops failed to stop at a checkpoint.
The FBI has been investigating the matter, suggesting the incident may have been an act of terror. Officials now say there is video footage of the incident which supporters the idea that the shooting was a deliberate attack by the Jordanian soldier.
The footage shows the convoy of US soldiers stopping at the checkpoint, and the soldier waving the first vehicle through the checkpoint, then turning and opening fire on the US troops in the second and third vehicle. The US troops in the third vehicle returned fire.
The Jordanian soldier was severely wounded in the incident but survived. He is presently in a medically induced coma at a hospital in Jordan. Jordanian officials offered a secondary explanation claiming that one of the Americans’ gun went off by mistake, starting the incident.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Trump's Peace Push Has Netanyahu Looking to Expand His Coalition - May 26th, 2017
- Dozens Killed in Heavy Fighting in the Libyan Capital - May 26th, 2017
- Iraqi Forces Drop Leaflets Urging Mosul Residents to Flee - May 26th, 2017
- Egypt Launches Airstrikes Against Libya Islamist Camps - May 26th, 2017
- Iraqi Officials Demand Compensation After US Admits Killing Mosul Civilians - May 26th, 2017