Israeli officials quoted by the nation’s Army Radio are said to be quite pleased with President-elect Donald Trump’s early foreign policy related picks, Lt. Gen Michael Flynn as National Security Adviser and Rep. Mike Pompeo (R – KS) as CIA Director, seeing both as “supporters of Israeli policy.”
Pompeo appears to be the main focus of these comments, with his outspoken hostility toward Iran, and his repeated calls to immediate end the P5+1 nuclear deal with Iran. Ironically, this has secured him the position of “pro-Israel” despite Netanyahu being opposed to tearing up the P5+1 deal.
Flynn’s position on Israel is less clear, as he hasn’t spoken on them in great detail. Israeli media outlets suggested the government is likely keen on him because of a past Islamophobic Tweet, in which he declared fear of Muslims to be “rational.”
In general, Israel’s far-right government has been upbeat about Trump’s election, with many believing his promise to be the “most pro-Israel” president means that Israel can effectively abandon the two-state solution an annex the West Bank with impunity. Despite several Israeli officials repeating this claim, Trump’s campaign has suggested he still intends to try to broker a peace deal.
Another potential Trump cabinet figure, John Bolton, also addressed the Israel matter today, warning during an interview that President Obama had better not do anything at the UN that Israel doesn’t want. Obama is seen to have soured on Israel after some recent settlement moves, and there is speculation he may not veto a Security Council resolution critical of the settlement expansion.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Military's 'Prime Focus' Will Be Competing With Russia, China - January 19th, 2018
- NGO: US-Led Coalition Civilian Killings Tripled in Iraq and Syria in 2017 - January 19th, 2018
- Russia FM: US Creating 'Alternative Bodies of Authority' in Syria - January 19th, 2018
- US: Turkish Attack on Syrian Kurds 'Destabilizing' - January 19th, 2018
- Turkey Escalates Shelling, Says 'No Turning Back' From Syria Invasion - January 19th, 2018