MSF: Only Seven Surgeons Left in Eastern Aleppo
Overnight airstrikes against Nusra Front-held Eastern Aleppo hit a pair of hospitals, knocking both out of commission and killing two patients. The M10 hospital reportedly lost its power generators and oxygen tanks, forcing them to transfer everyone to another hospital.
This adds to the ever-worsening situation in the city, which only has 30 doctors left. Doctors Without Borders (MSF) reported that with more hospitals out of commission, there are effectively only seven doctors left capable of performing surgery.
East Aleppo has been facing huge amounts of airstrikes since Friday, with Syrian officials saying they intend a full-scale ground invasion. Earlier this week, they invaded and captured a central district within the city, though so far it doesn’t appear that they’re advancing any further east.
Aleppo has been divided among various factions since 2012, and over the last few months has been split in half between Nusra and the Syrian government. The two have launched myriad offensives and counter-offensives, and so far haven’t been decisive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russian Parliament calls for Inquiry Into US Media Outlets - March 19th, 2017
- Trump Expands Special Forces Deployments Around Africa, Mideast - March 19th, 2017
- China Urges US to Remain 'Coolheaded' on North Korea - March 19th, 2017
- Three US Troops Wounded After Afghan Soldier Opens Fire - March 19th, 2017
- Israeli Cabinet Protests as Netanyahu Threatens Snap Elections - March 19th, 2017