MSF: Only Seven Surgeons Left in Eastern Aleppo
Overnight airstrikes against Nusra Front-held Eastern Aleppo hit a pair of hospitals, knocking both out of commission and killing two patients. The M10 hospital reportedly lost its power generators and oxygen tanks, forcing them to transfer everyone to another hospital.
This adds to the ever-worsening situation in the city, which only has 30 doctors left. Doctors Without Borders (MSF) reported that with more hospitals out of commission, there are effectively only seven doctors left capable of performing surgery.
East Aleppo has been facing huge amounts of airstrikes since Friday, with Syrian officials saying they intend a full-scale ground invasion. Earlier this week, they invaded and captured a central district within the city, though so far it doesn’t appear that they’re advancing any further east.
Aleppo has been divided among various factions since 2012, and over the last few months has been split in half between Nusra and the Syrian government. The two have launched myriad offensives and counter-offensives, and so far haven’t been decisive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Heavily Dug In ISIS Forces in Libya's Sirte Continue to Resist Offensives - October 21st, 2016
- Turkey DM Claims US Eager to Work With Them on Raqqa Invasion - October 21st, 2016
- Turkey: 18 PKK Killed in Attacks in SE Turkey, Northern Iraq - October 21st, 2016
- Turkey Continues Attacks After Killing 200 Syrian Kurds - October 21st, 2016
- Aleppo's Ceasefire Continues to Hold for Second Day - October 21st, 2016