MSF: Only Seven Surgeons Left in Eastern Aleppo
Overnight airstrikes against Nusra Front-held Eastern Aleppo hit a pair of hospitals, knocking both out of commission and killing two patients. The M10 hospital reportedly lost its power generators and oxygen tanks, forcing them to transfer everyone to another hospital.
This adds to the ever-worsening situation in the city, which only has 30 doctors left. Doctors Without Borders (MSF) reported that with more hospitals out of commission, there are effectively only seven doctors left capable of performing surgery.
East Aleppo has been facing huge amounts of airstrikes since Friday, with Syrian officials saying they intend a full-scale ground invasion. Earlier this week, they invaded and captured a central district within the city, though so far it doesn’t appear that they’re advancing any further east.
Aleppo has been divided among various factions since 2012, and over the last few months has been split in half between Nusra and the Syrian government. The two have launched myriad offensives and counter-offensives, and so far haven’t been decisive.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Spies Using Intercepted Communications to Seek Links Between Russia, Trump Allies - January 20th, 2017
- Trump Inauguration Address Centers on Fighting Islamic Terror - January 20th, 2017
- Denmark to Send Special Forces to Syria - January 20th, 2017
- ISIS Shifts Focus to Syria as They Lose Ground in Iraq - January 20th, 2017
- CIA Is Directorless as Senators Block Pompeo Vote - January 20th, 2017