Vast Majority of Civilians Killed in Saudi Airstrikes
Since the pro-Saudi faction issued its latest demand for unconditional surrender and then withdrew from the peace talks hosted by Kuwait, violence in Yemen has been on the rise, with Saudi airstrikes taking a heavy toll, particularly on the civilian population in Shi’ite parts of the country.
The most recent figures out of Yemen are that at least 329 civilians have been confirmed killed, and 426 others wounded just since that ceasefire ended on August 6. The overwhelming majority of the deaths were in Saudi airstrikes, which continue to regularly pound areas under Shi’ite control.
This new reported death toll comes in the wake of a particularly bloody airstrike earlier this week in Hodeidah, where at least 32 civilians were killed. The Saudi government is fighting with the UN General Assembly to avoid facing any international investigation into the growing war crimes.
The Saudis had a similar battle at the UN last year during the general assembly, and ultimately convinced them to let the Saudi government, and a handful of allies, investigate themselves.
The UN Human Rights Commissioner told reporters that the toll marked a 40% increase in monthly casualties over the figures that came out in July, and that the death toll was likely much higher, with death tolls oftentimes under-reported.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- White House Vows to Keep China From Claiming Chinese-Built Islands - January 23rd, 2017
- Trump Budget Chief Faces Opposition From GOP Hawks - January 23rd, 2017
- US Now Says Libya Bombing Linked to Berlin Market Truck Attack - January 23rd, 2017
- White House Open to Cooperating With Russia in Syria - January 23rd, 2017
- First Day of Syria Talks Show No Sign of Progress - January 23rd, 2017