The Pentagon says it may have killed some additional civilians in its most recent airstrikes against the ISIS capital city of Raqqa, in northern Syria. They offered few details on how many civilians may have been among the slain.
Officials said that a “non-military vehicle” drove into the area that US warplanes were bombing, and got blown up by the bombs. They were unsure how many people were inside the vehicle or what happened to them, though presumably they were killed.
No other details were offered, beyond officials confirming that Central Command will “review” the incident and decide if it is worth actually carrying out an investigation. Historically, very few of the civilian deaths in the US bombing campaign have been investigated, and fewer still confirmed.
This is the first report of civilian deaths in US strikes inside Syria since the end of the battle of Manbij last week. US warplanes killed several hundred civilians in that bombing campaign over the course of the campaign against that city. So far this is still just a matter of investigation as far as the US is concerned.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- South Korea Confirms Discussions on Ending 68-Year Korean War - April 18th, 2018
- Trump Says He'll Sanction Russia as Soon as They Deserve It - April 18th, 2018
- Mattis Wanted Congressional Approval for Syria Attack, Trump Said No - April 18th, 2018
- UN Security Team Delays Inspectors Entrance to Douma for 'Safety' - April 18th, 2018
- Syria Says Chemical Weapons Experts to Visit Douma Wednesday (UPDATED) - April 17th, 2018