Canadian priest Amer Saka has bee suspended from his Hamilton, ON diocese and arrested on charges of stealing some $500,000 in aid money earmarked for the resettlement of Syrian refugees, and squandering it on gambling.
Bishop Emanuel Shaleta, the head of the church, confirmed that Saka had called him and admitted to gambling away the money. Saka was deeply involved in a program that was sponsoring and helping refugees resettle into Canada.
Police opened an investigation into the incident back in February. Saka was arrested this past week, and released on bail after being charged with fraud. The court reportedly also ordered him to stay out of casinos in the interim.
The diocese had reportedly applied to bring 20 refugees from Syria, who were presently in Iraq, into Canada, though they said only 10 or 11 of them had actually arrived. Saka was said to be with the refugee resettlement program for nine years.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Next Catalonias? Italian Regions Vote for More Autonomy - October 22nd, 2017
- Catalans Rally at Barcelona Parliament, Push for Independence - October 21st, 2017
- Turkey: Kurdish Banner in Raqqa Proves US Sided With Terrorists - October 20th, 2017
- Many Afghan Troops Run Away While in US to Train - October 20th, 2017
- Spain to Start Catalonia Takeover Saturday - October 20th, 2017