While the Philippines is still crowing about their “victory” in the South China Sea Tribunal hearing at the Hague, with China today insisting they don’t consider the Tribunal to mean anything, and that they intend to defend their claims in the South China Sea the same as before.
Indeed, Chinese officials suggested that the Tribunal was little more than a “puppet,” and blamed the US for “stirring up trouble.” China claims 90% of the South China Sea, and the US backs every other nation’s claims in the region to the extent they intersect with China’s.
The Tribunal insisted China had no historic claims to the South China Sea, and further ruled that their islands in the Sea aren’t true islands, and thus aren’t entitled to the usual maritime zones around them, on the grounds that the islands don’t support independent communities.
Taiwan is also mad about the ruling, since it also claimed their only island in the area, which they maintain is literally the only island in the South China Sea, isn’t an island either. Taiwan responded by sending a warship to the area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Netanyahu: The Bible Proves Jerusalem Is Israel's Capital - December 11th, 2017
- ISIS Is Gone, But Iraq's Main Refinery Remains in Ruins - December 11th, 2017
- US-Backed Syrian Kurds, Iraqi Army Coordinate at Border - December 11th, 2017
- Iran FM Urges Europe to Preserve Nuclear Deal - December 11th, 2017
- Key Iraqi Shi'ite Cleric Urges Fighters to Disarm - December 11th, 2017