District Police Chief Among the Slain in Nangarhar
A weekend attack against Afghan police in the Haska Mina District of Nangarhar Province saw ISIS fighters killing six police, including the district police chief. It is the first major attack in the province since the Afghan government claimed “victory” over ISIS there.
ISIS has had a significant presence around Nangarhar for several months now, broadcasting propaganda through a mobile radio station. Afghan officials claimed to have destroyed the station, but reports of broadcasts have continued.
Provincial officials sought to downplay the incident, claiming that the police had actually “defeated” ISIS and had killed 15 ISIS fighters, wounding seven others. There was no confirmation of the ISIS casualties from any other source, however.
ISIS has been recruiting across Afghanistan for years, but only has a significant presence in Nangarhar itself. Elsewhere, it has clashed with Taliban forces, but so far with limited results.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US Estimates 50,000 ISIS Fighters Killed in Just Over Two Years - December 8th, 2016
- US Navy Refuses Pentagon Orders to Budget for Spending Cuts - December 8th, 2016
- ISIS Kills Dozens, Nears Syrian City of Palmyra - December 8th, 2016
- Human Rights Watch: US May Be Complicit in Saudi War Crimes in Yemen - December 8th, 2016
- No Evidence, But Pentagon Tries to Convince Turkey Iran Killed Their Troops - December 8th, 2016