District Police Chief Among the Slain in Nangarhar
A weekend attack against Afghan police in the Haska Mina District of Nangarhar Province saw ISIS fighters killing six police, including the district police chief. It is the first major attack in the province since the Afghan government claimed “victory” over ISIS there.
ISIS has had a significant presence around Nangarhar for several months now, broadcasting propaganda through a mobile radio station. Afghan officials claimed to have destroyed the station, but reports of broadcasts have continued.
Provincial officials sought to downplay the incident, claiming that the police had actually “defeated” ISIS and had killed 15 ISIS fighters, wounding seven others. There was no confirmation of the ISIS casualties from any other source, however.
ISIS has been recruiting across Afghanistan for years, but only has a significant presence in Nangarhar itself. Elsewhere, it has clashed with Taliban forces, but so far with limited results.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Russia Ready to Talk With Trump on Nuclear Arms, Syria - January 17th, 2017
- Sec/Def, Other Top Dems Oppose Manning's Release - January 17th, 2017
- Key NATO Commander Agrees With Trump, NATO Is Obsolete - January 17th, 2017
- Nigerian Warplanes Attack Refugee Camp, Killing Over 100 Civilians - January 17th, 2017
- US Strike Syria's al-Bab After Turkish Criticism - January 17th, 2017