Locals near the base of the Syrian Army’s Fourth Mechanical Division reported hearing “huge explosions” over the weekend, as jets believed to belong to the Israeli military flew overhead. If confirmed, this would be the latest in a growing number of Israeli strikes on Syria.
Other reports claimed the attack took place against the air defense school of the Syrian Army, and that the bombings attacked warehouses stocked with anti-aircraft missiles. Despite the planes reportedly flying very low above the base, no attempt was made to fire on them.
As usual with reported Israeli attacks on Syria, neither the Syrian nor Israeli government would confirm the incident. Israel has virtually never commented on any of its strikes against Syria, beyond coy shows of approval for the deaths of slain Hezbollah figures.
Besides being yet another attack by Israel, if confirmed this would also mark the first attack since the installation of Avigdor Lieberman as Israel’s new Defense Minister. Lieberman would not comment directly on the reports, but did warn neighbors not to “test us.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Palestinian Prisoners End Hunger Strike in Return for Improved Rights - May 27th, 2017
- Trump's Peace Push Has Netanyahu Looking to Expand His Coalition - May 26th, 2017
- 52 Killed in Heavy Fighting in the Libyan Capital - May 26th, 2017
- Iraqi Forces Drop Leaflets Urging Mosul Residents to Flee - May 26th, 2017
- Egypt Launches Airstrikes Against Libya Islamist Camps - May 26th, 2017