Locals near the base of the Syrian Army’s Fourth Mechanical Division reported hearing “huge explosions” over the weekend, as jets believed to belong to the Israeli military flew overhead. If confirmed, this would be the latest in a growing number of Israeli strikes on Syria.
Other reports claimed the attack took place against the air defense school of the Syrian Army, and that the bombings attacked warehouses stocked with anti-aircraft missiles. Despite the planes reportedly flying very low above the base, no attempt was made to fire on them.
As usual with reported Israeli attacks on Syria, neither the Syrian nor Israeli government would confirm the incident. Israel has virtually never commented on any of its strikes against Syria, beyond coy shows of approval for the deaths of slain Hezbollah figures.
Besides being yet another attack by Israel, if confirmed this would also mark the first attack since the installation of Avigdor Lieberman as Israel’s new Defense Minister. Lieberman would not comment directly on the reports, but did warn neighbors not to “test us.”
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Despite Assurances, Legality of Trump Nuclear Strike May Not Matter - November 22nd, 2017
- Israeli Forces Demolish Brand New Family Home in East Jerusalem - November 22nd, 2017
- East Ukraine in Turmoil Amid Claimed 'Coup' in Luhansk - November 22nd, 2017
- US Asked for Saudis to Ease Yemen Blockade - November 22nd, 2017
- Local Afghan Leaders Protest Deadly US Strikes on 'Heroin Labs' - November 22nd, 2017