Targeted Top Pro-Govt Militia Commander
A massive suicide car bombing tore through the home of a top pro-government militia commander in Afghanistan’s Nangarhar Province today, killing at least 10 people and wounding 23 others. The commander was present, but apparently not among the slain, though the attack did kill three children.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack, but Nangarhar is not only a province with a considerable Taliban presence, but is also the de facto base of operations for ISIS’ Afghanistan affiliate. The militia targeted was active against both forces.
The attack was during a gathering at the commander’s home, and the car’s detonation appears to have been timed to go off specifically when people started showing up at the house.
Along the Pakistan border, Nangarhar has been one of the most violent provinces in Afghanistan throughout the US war, a fact which seems unlikely to change as factions like ISIS set up shop in the area.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria: US Destroyed Eastern Bridges in Attack on Infrastructure - September 29th, 2016
- Congressional Leaders Move to Weaken 9/11 Victims Bill After Override - September 29th, 2016
- Kerry: US Close to Ending Russia Talks Over Syria - September 29th, 2016
- Baloch Separatist Leader in Pakistan 'Would Welcome' India's Help - September 29th, 2016
- Allies Criticize US Airstrikes Hitting Wrong Targets in Somalia, Afghanistan - September 29th, 2016