Tensions within Israel’s extremely narrow right-far-right coalition continue to grow, as the military’s investigation into an Israeli medic who shot and killed an already wounded and disarmed Palestinian has become a cause célèbre for the settler movement and for hawks in general.
Polls show a vast majority of Israelis are opposed to any investigation of the killing, and several groups have organized rallies in support of the medic, with many calling him a “national hero,” circulating petitions demanding he be given a medal for the killing.
Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya’alon fired back against the comments, saying the medic was not a “hero” for violating the rules of engagement, saying the far-right seems to want a “brutal army that has lost its moral backbone.”
Since the video emerged of the shooting, the medic’s lawyer claims he thought the Palestinian might have a bomb. Military officials, however, say that the man had already been searched. Subsequent videos have shown the medic shaking hands with a Kahanist leader, and witnesses say he told multiple other soldiers at the site that the wounded Palestinian “deserves to die.” The Palestinian had been lying on the street wounded for 11 minutes, and when he lifted his head a bit, the medic shot and killed him.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Taliban Threatens to Pull Out of Peace Talks Over US Troop Presence in Afghanistan - January 15th, 2019
- US, Russia Trade Accusations of Nuclear Deal Violations - January 15th, 2019
- Mnuchin Urges Senate to Allow Trump to Ease Russia Sanctions - January 15th, 2019
- Trump May Recognize Opposition Leader as Venezuelan President - January 15th, 2019
- US Has 4,500 Marines, F-35 Squadron on Standby to Support Syria Pullout - January 15th, 2019