In an interview with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer today, Republican front-runner Donald Trump said it was possible that today’s terror attacks in Belgium could’ve been prevented with a sufficient amount of torture, saying he believes they could’ve made captured ISIS suspect Saleh Abdesalam “talk a lot faster” by torturing him.
“If he would’ve talked you might not have had the blow up,” Trump insisted, saying the US needs to “change our laws” to a “almost equal basis” with what ISIS does to its own detainees, saying he wants waterboarding as a “minimum form of torture” and also advocates “far worse.”
Trump went on to urge a full closing of all US borders in the wake of the attack in Europe, saying the border should stay closed “until we figure out what’s going on,” and lamenting that Brussels used to be “an absolutely crime-free city.”
He also demanded the Belgian government immediately turn Abdesalam over to the military, insisting the country has to “get its act together” on interrogating the detainee, accused of being involved in November’s Paris attacks. US officials suspect today’s attackers are from the same cell.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- US-Led Airstrikes Killed 472 Civilians in Syria in the Past Month - June 23rd, 2017
- US Narrows Counter-Extremism Program to Focus on Islamists - June 23rd, 2017
- Senator: US Strikes on Syrian Forces 'Unlawful' - June 23rd, 2017
- Kurds Warn Turkey's Buildup in North Syria Threatens Raqqa Invasion - June 23rd, 2017
- Senators Seek Clarification on US Role in Yemen Torture - June 23rd, 2017