Four people were killed and 18 wounded today when a pair of would-be suicide bombers attacked a Shi’ite mosque in Saudi Arabia’s east. Incredibly, one of the two attackers was captured successfully by the worshipers.
The two began shooting in the area around the outskirts of the mosque, and worshipers closed the doors before they could enter. One of the two blew himself up, taking the doors with him, and allowing the second gunman in, firing wildly.
The remaining gunman fired as people scrambled for cover, before eventually a number of worshipers charged him, tying him up with their headscarves and removing his suicide belt before he could detonate it, holding him until the police arrived.
This is the latest in a string of attacks on Shi’ite mosques, something happening on a nearly weekly basis in Saudi Arabia, since the March attack on Yemen, which fueled a massive spike in sectarian tensions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018