Four people were killed and 18 wounded today when a pair of would-be suicide bombers attacked a Shi’ite mosque in Saudi Arabia’s east. Incredibly, one of the two attackers was captured successfully by the worshipers.
The two began shooting in the area around the outskirts of the mosque, and worshipers closed the doors before they could enter. One of the two blew himself up, taking the doors with him, and allowing the second gunman in, firing wildly.
The remaining gunman fired as people scrambled for cover, before eventually a number of worshipers charged him, tying him up with their headscarves and removing his suicide belt before he could detonate it, holding him until the police arrived.
This is the latest in a string of attacks on Shi’ite mosques, something happening on a nearly weekly basis in Saudi Arabia, since the March attack on Yemen, which fueled a massive spike in sectarian tensions.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Exodus From Eastern Ghouta as Syrian Army Appears to Near Victory - March 18th, 2018
- Pentagon Defends Keeping Niger Attacks Secret - March 18th, 2018
- Trump Administration Scrambles to Convince Congress Not to Halt Yemen War - March 18th, 2018
- Sen. Corker Predicts Trump Will Withdraw From Iran Deal in May - March 18th, 2018
- May Says Britain Considers More Steps Against Russia in Coming Days - March 18th, 2018