A newly released ISIS video praising Friday’s attacks in Paris shows footage of several sites in New York City, including Times Square, followed by footage of a suicide bomber putting on a vest after a warning that Paris is “just the beginning.”
Much of the footage in the video is old, and used in a previous video in April, but it is clear that the implication is that New York City is a potential future target. A previous ISIS video released earlier this week suggested Washington D.C. was also a potential target for strikes.
FBI and NYPD officials say that they are “aware” of the new video, but so far have no specific intelligence of any threat. NYPD officials noted that it’s always assumed their city is among the top targets for major Islamist groups and that the city was already on a heightened state of alert.
Governor Cuomo also said that security remains a top priority and that he’d ordered stepped up security preparedness in recent days, saying New Yorkers should stay alert but not let the latest video interrupt their daily lives.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syria Informs US Leaders on Future Air Wars - September 19th, 2017
- Western Nations Clash at UN Over Iran Nuclear Deal - September 19th, 2017
- US May Try to Shoot Down Future North Korean Missile - September 19th, 2017
- Catalonia Mayors Exercise Right to Remain Silent in Referendum Interrogation - September 19th, 2017
- US Bombing Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria at Record Pace - September 19th, 2017