Israeli troops dressed like civilians, wheeling another soldier disguised as a pregnant woman, forced their way into a Palestinian hospital in Hebron this morning, killing a Palestinian man they described as a “suspect” before loading the man’s cousin, a patient who they say they were their to question, into the wheelchair and hauling him off to an unknown location.
Hospital director Jihad Shawar slammed the raid, saying that relatives of the slain man and his disappeared cousin are “very angry.” They added that there was no evidence the man the troops killed, who they claim “attacked them,” was armed in the first place.
Israeli military official described every member of the family in question as “known Hamas operatives,” and Shin Bet said that the attack on the hospital was fine because they won’t allow “terror operatives” to feel safe anywhere.
The Red Cross warned that medical personnel need to be able to operate in a safe environment, and be free from military intimidation. They promised to take the latest raid up with Israeli officials “at the appropriate level.”
Such raids have been increasingly common amid the recent crackdown on Palestinians, with Israeli checkpoints making it increasingly difficult for Palestinians to access neighborhood hospitals, and have been pressuring hospital staff to turn over people wounded in military raids.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Peshmerga: Iraqi Offensive Is a 'Declaration of War' - October 16th, 2017
- Thousands Flee as Iraqi Forces Seize Kirkuk - October 16th, 2017
- Pentagon Backs Away as US Allies Prepare to Battle in Iraqi Kurdistan - October 16th, 2017
- North Korea Rejects US Talks Amid Threats - October 16th, 2017
- Spain Ratchets Up Threats as Catalonia Refuses to Respond - October 16th, 2017