Israeli troops dressed like civilians, wheeling another soldier disguised as a pregnant woman, forced their way into a Palestinian hospital in Hebron this morning, killing a Palestinian man they described as a “suspect” before loading the man’s cousin, a patient who they say they were their to question, into the wheelchair and hauling him off to an unknown location.
Hospital director Jihad Shawar slammed the raid, saying that relatives of the slain man and his disappeared cousin are “very angry.” They added that there was no evidence the man the troops killed, who they claim “attacked them,” was armed in the first place.
Israeli military official described every member of the family in question as “known Hamas operatives,” and Shin Bet said that the attack on the hospital was fine because they won’t allow “terror operatives” to feel safe anywhere.
The Red Cross warned that medical personnel need to be able to operate in a safe environment, and be free from military intimidation. They promised to take the latest raid up with Israeli officials “at the appropriate level.”
Such raids have been increasingly common amid the recent crackdown on Palestinians, with Israeli checkpoints making it increasingly difficult for Palestinians to access neighborhood hospitals, and have been pressuring hospital staff to turn over people wounded in military raids.
Last 5 posts by Jason Ditz
- Syrian Rebels Began Evacuating Golan for North - July 20th, 2018
- Syrian, Russian Warplanes Kill 26 Civilians in Strikes on Southern ISIS Towns - July 20th, 2018
- US Urges Strict UN Sanctions on North Korea Until Denuclearization Finished - July 20th, 2018
- Merkel: Europe Can't Rely on US to Impose World Order - July 20th, 2018
- Israel, Hamas Reach Another Ceasefire After Five Killed in Friday Clashes - July 20th, 2018